Monday, August 18, 2014

Visiting the DMZ

The weekend before I left for Bali I organized for 3 friends and I to go to the DMZ. I knew I would regret it if I didn't go while I was here in Korea. I'm glad I went.

The DMZ, Korean Demilitarized Zone, is the buffer zone between North and South Korea. You can visit there, but the visits are strictly monitored. You have to sign in with your passport and everything.


Looking out to North Korea. You couldn't take a picture past the yellow line. Like I said....strictly monitored.






We got to visit the 3rd tunnel, which was discovered in 1978. It was built by the North Koreans as a surprise attack on South Korea. They believe that there are still tunnels out there to be found.

The DMZ was a halt for South Korea and North Korea to stop fighting. I was amazed, however, to learn that North Korea continued to try and surprise attack South Korea, building tunnels and stuff. So they lied.

It was a long tunnel. Wet, dark, and claustrophobic. We had to wear hard hats. Coming back up was not fun. Not fun at all.


Then we visited Dorasan Station, which is the last subway station in South Korea. It is the train that you would take if you were going to North Korea. They hope that people can actually take this train to North Korea right now.








 Now in South Korea...


Now heading to North Korea...






Now at the JSA or Joint Security Area. We are in the conference room, where South Korea meets North Korea for talks and conferences.


These microphones separate South Korea and North Korea. They are always on.


This guy had sweat going down his face, and he couldn't even wipe it off.


The guards outside. Staring at the wall can't be all that fun.


He's in North Korea...as I was too when I took this picture.


You couldn't get too close to the guards.





Our guide was stationed there at the DMZ. He was quite attractive.


The white posts signify North Korea.




This tower messes up all the TV and radio broadcasts from South Korea so that North Koreans have absolutely no idea what is going on in the rest of the world.


Propaganda Village - It's in North Korea and was built to be pure propaganda. No one lives there. It looks nice and beautiful, but it's all fake. Propaganda is played through the massive loudspeakers directed towards the south.

Our tour guide with our army DMZ guide.





It was a good and interesting tour, and I'm glad I went.

Be on the lookout for some Bali pictures!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That is amazing!~D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bridge was called the bridge of no return because once the pow's chose which side they would go to, they couldn't go back. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amber! I knew I got that wrong!

      Delete
  3. This is good blog and this place seems to be a great location for adventurous seeker's..

    ReplyDelete